Friday, 25 October 2013

Fawn the Fairy - Homemade by Me :)

Annalise's costume for her preschool Halloween party is Fawn the Fairy (from the Tinkerbell movies) She's pretty thrilled and I had tons of fun putting it together. I made the hair with a head band, ribbons and fake leaves, the belt from ribbon and fake leaves, the top from something I picked up at Value Village and the leggings from an old t-shirt. The wings are store-bought but absolutely perfect for the costume ... and since I made pretty much everything else, I think it's ok that I just bought the wings. :)

This is the jacket thing I picked up at Value Village. It had sequined type trim basically everywhere there was a hem of some sort. I took all that off and tossed it. The sleeves were way to long and I wanted it to be sleeveless (more realistic) so I chopped them off.

So here it is mostly complete. I chopped off the sleeves and took in the sides a bit (made a big mistake but covered it up alright ... but that's the reason for the lack of progress pictures). :) I put a snap button on where it comes together at the bottom of the v-neck so that it will stay closed. I hate working with satin and will probably not do it again for a long time.

So for the belt, I took some green ribbon, cut it to length (measured it around her waist), made 3 the same length, sewed them together at one end, braided them and sewed them at the other end. Then I sewed in 2 snap buttons to make it easier to close. :) After all that was done, I hot glued fake leaves all along the belt.

Here is the completed belt (excuse the knife and fork in the photo - apparently we had just had supper. :)                            
For the long braid, I used a plain brown headband that Annalise already had. I took a wide brown ribbon, measured it to be as long as Annalise is tall and cut 3 that length. I hot glued them at one end to the headband then braided them. I used a small length of the green ribbon to tie it off. I hot glued that in order to keep it more secure. Then I hot glued some fake leaves to that as well.  :) 

So here's the long braided ribbon hair. :)

And here's the completed belt.

I made these leggings out of an old t-shirt. I found this t-shirt at Value Village - men's, extra large. It is SO super easy and I think this is how I will be making leggings for the girls from now on. In order to make the "pattern" I just used a pair of capri leggings that currently fits Annalise. Then for the cuffs at the bottom, I cut out rounded/triangular shaped pieces from the t-shirt. I roughly sewed hems onto them and sewed them to the bottoms of the leggings. This picture was taken before I had the appropriate width of elastic to finish the leggings. :)

The completed outfit! For the rest of her hair, I took a brown crocheted cap she has and turned it inside out (because it had a pink flower and band crocheted onto the outside of it). :) Here she's a bit annoyed for a couple of reasons: 1. The wings are having a hard time staying open (I need to fix that somehow). and 2. There wasn't any pixie dust so she couldn't fly.

She has now realized how awesome the costume is and is super thrilled that I made it for her.

So happy ... even if she can't fly for real! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment