Friday 11 April 2014

Five-Minute Friday: Paint

Once again I have joined Lisa-Jo Baker (and other ladies) for Five-Minute Friday. Today the word was "Paint". It prompted poetry for me. :) And also now makes me want to sit down and paint something. :) So, as happens every week, Lisa-Jo gives us a word to write about. We write for 5 minutes straight with no editing! :) It is often a challenge but always rewarding. Hop on over to Lisa-Jo's site, read some of the writing and maybe even join in yourself some week! :)

To explain the end of my poem: As I was getting to the end of the 5 minutes (and the end of my poem), and thinking about how I feel when I do creative things, whether painting or writing or whatever, a quote from Eric Liddell popped in my head. If you don't know who he is, watch Chariots of Fire. :) Anyways, at one point he said, "God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure." So, I adapted that quote to end my poem (just seconds before the timer rang). :)

START

“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus…” ~Ephesians 2:10a

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” ~Psalm 139: 13-14a

Paint

Pigments squirt into a palette,
            colours of the world.
A brush sweeps and swirls across the canvas,
            apparent chaos but, in time, a masterpiece emerges.
Beauty.
            Beauty in the majestic, the simple, the pretty
            BUT beauty also in the old, the rotten, the desolation
Beauty in the broken.

And God, with His magnificent brush strokes,
            creates beauty in THIS Broken
This canvas of my life, but a small piece of the canvas of the universe,
            intertwined together
            seemingly chaotic until I look back
And I see beauty.
            Beauty in the joy, beauty in the hardships
                        dark, harsh colours where hurt made its mark
                        bright, joy-filled colours where peace and joy have touched.

My canvas,
my sweeps and swirls of the brush,
my mixing of pigments,
just a cheap imitation of what God has already done
Showing beauty in my life as best as I can.

And “when I [paint] I feel His pleasure”.

STOP

Beauty in the pretty - a dahlia from a local park

Beauty in desolation

Beauty in the broken - My Mother's Hands




Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. It's so brave to write a poem for this exercise and a beautiful one at that. You have inspired me to try my hand again at poetry -- when I was in college, I wrote poetry all the time because, being a big music fan, I pretended I was writing song lyrics. And it's not just inspiring but fun to write verse! I love how you included pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! In the past (high school and college) I wrote lots of poetry. I was going through some rough times and poetry was perfect for me to express what I felt. I lost the inspiration somewhere along the line. I've never been one to do a lot of rhymed verse in my poetry - I prefer a freer form. :) The word Lisa-Jo gave us today really inspired poetry for me though and I have been trying to write more poetry - it's sporadic but it's coming! :) The pictures I included are ones I've painted (or drawn as with the pastels in the last photo) but I included them as I felt they expressed some of the words I had written. :)

      Delete