Friday 30 May 2014

Five Minute Friday: Nothing (without God)

It's that time of week again ... that time when I join with other bloggers over at Lisa-Jo Baker's to write for 5 minutes straight - no editing, no worrying about if it's perfect or if it will impress, just writing our thoughts on a word she provides.

This wee the word is "nothing". Will you join us in this exercise?

START


Nothing

I guess I think in music because often words make songs come to mind (and I’m often singing through the day about whatever is happening). When I saw this word the first thing that popped into my head was the song with the lyrics “Nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing, nothing is too difficult for Thee.” It’s true! Nothing is too difficult for God and it’s good to think of “nothing” in that way.

But this word … sounds a bit negative doesn’t it?

Nothing, nada, zero, negative, absence of something, emptiness

I am nothing (without God in me).
I give nothing (without God in me) … selfishness is the most natural human character trait since the Fall into Sin.
The world is filled with negative (without God) – war, disease, famine, drought – negative things in a world that doesn’t want God … a world that chose (at the Fall into Sin with Adam and Eve) it’s own desires over honouring God.
I am empty (without God in me).

And then I think of that word – empty. Often in Christian conversation, people will say something like, “we need to empty ourselves of everything before God”. But we are empty without God! We have nothing to offer without God! If we empty ourselves before God, we empty ourselves of God and that is not a positive goal.

We are nothing without God. God makes us something because God makes us His! And that’s a pretty special something! And because of that:

nothing can bring happiness or joy
nothing can give us peace
nothing can save us
nothing can sustain us


but God.

And, because it's still in my head, here's a video of the song I quoted above:

 

STOP

P.S. For some reason I can't add the "Five Minute Friday Badge" from Lisa-Jo's site. Put it in the same way as I always do but it doesn't look like it's showing up in the post. However, if you click on her name way at the top of this post, it will take you to her site and this week's link-up. :)

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from FMF. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    I love what you've said here, and you're right: we are nothing without God.

    I must think in music, too. But the song that's been popping into my head today is the Michael W. Smith song that says "Nothing can separate ...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Yes, that is another awesome song! Thanks for reminding me of that one! :)

      Delete