Friday 17 October 2014

{Day 17} Food Processor Pizza Crust


(Disclaimer: Life happens. I got behind on this challenge. So you're going to see hopefully 4 blog posts today while I attempt to catch up. :) )

So, Friday is pizza night in our house! :) Last time I shared our basic bread machine pizza dough and a few of our favourite pizza recipes. This time I decided to try a different dough - one that seemed a lot easier. It is from the Company's Coming Pizza cookbook by Jean Pere (with one small change which is why this blog post has a different name than the recipe in the book). Page 117 in the afore mentioned cookbook is where you'll find the recipe I used by I will include it here as well for your reference.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp instant yeast

3/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp cooking oil

Food Processor Method: Put first 5 ingredients into food processor fitted with dough blade.  With machine running, pour warm water and cooking oil through tube in lid. Process for 50 to 60 seconds. If dough seems sticky to remove, add about 1/2 tsp flour to make it easier to handle.

Hand Method: Put first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Stir together well. Add warm water and cooking oil. Mix well until dough leaves sides of bowl. Knead on lightly floured surface for 5 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.

To Complete: At this point, you may choose to roll out and press in greased 12 inch pizza pan, forming rim around edge. Or place dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for about 1 hour until doubled in size. Punch dough down. roll out and press in greased 12 inch pizza pan, forming rim around edge.

So, as you can tell from the title of this post, I chose to use the food processor method because, obviously, it's WAY faster and perfect for this busy mama! :) I did not do a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour as I'm currently out of whole wheat flour. I just did 2 cups of all-purpose flour. For the oil, I used olive oil which is our standard oil for pizza dough. :) We love it like that!

So, was this a good dough? Kind of. I loved how easy it was but I found that there wasn't enough sugar. The dough we make in our bread machine is sweeter and much nicer as a result. This one seems a tad on the bland side. I guess, if you're going for healthy, this would be the better option though. :)  We also found the dough to be quite heavy and, of course, much thicker than what we usually use for our pizzas but still workable. :) Verdict from hubby on how the pizza tastes with this crust: a shrug, a nod and an "it's ok". And I would add to that, "it's really rather bland." So I'd say it's not on our list of favourites but it will certainly be kept on hand for when we're in a time crunch because it really takes just a couple minutes to make! :)

Well, you win some, you loose some. :) Here's some photos! :)



YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment