Tuesday 7 October 2014

{Day 7} Koek

My mom's Koek was one of my favourite things to eat ... and still is! The smell of this baking brings back so many wonderful memories! It's bittersweet too as it reminds me of my mom who passed away almost 2 years ago. The temptation to call her while baking this was great, the remember that I can't was hard. But, the positives: memories of childhood, of baking with Mom, of sitting down to warm Koek thickly buttered ... :) Those memories make me smile. I remember her telling me how to make it ... how it's important to NOT use the electric stand mixer but that it is so much better done in a simple mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. :) And how it's important to line your loaf pan with wax paper before putting the dough in.

Koek is the Dutch word for cake. But I think this can count more as a bread than a cake. Sure it is sweet, but some breads are quite sweet! And, as I said, it's best enjoyed thickly spread with butter/margarine ... who does that to cake? No one! You only do that to bread! Therefore, this must be bread! :)

I love how baking this makes my home feel so wonderfully warm! :)

I think it's ok for me to share the recipe here. If it's not, I'm sure my family will let me know. :)

So, here you go:

Mom's Koek

Ingredients:

4 cups  flour
2 cups  sugar
4 tsp     baking powder
2 tsp     baking soda
4 tsp     cinnamon
1/2 tsp  nutmeg
1/2 tsp  allspice
2 cups  milk
2/3c up oil
1 cup raisins (Optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients in a medium to large mixing bowl. Stir until moist. Line 2 loaf pans with wax paper (you may need to grease the loaf pans slightly first so the paper stays in place). Divide the dough over the two pans. Bake in oven for 1 hour. The above ingredients will make 2 loaves. To make one, obviously just cut the ingredients in half. :)

I was so eager to cut into this loaf that I forgot to take photos first. :) So, here is the only picture you get! :)

Beauty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment